Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The mistaken identity

Last Sunday, I went to Sg.Buloh with papa.

One can really get oneself lost at the nurseries of Sg.Buloh.
The plants sold there are dead cheap, up to 50% lower than the prices sold elsewhere.

Kumar, the gardener, had just cleared a large patch of a heliconia colony at the side of the garden facing my dining area.
I've decided to replace them with aromatic flowering plants.

So, I was there at my favourite "lengcai's" nursery again, collecting the 'kesidang', 'kemuning', 4 varieties of 'gardenia' , 'jasmine' and 'lady of the night' . I've purchased huge plants of 'Bunga Tanjong' and 'Kenanga' from him last month and hillariously sat on one of the branches in the car on our way home for lack of space.

By the time the "lengcai" (handsome boy) finished arranging the plants in the CRV, papa's car transformed into a perfumed garden.

I came across and excitedly bought a very beautiful and intricate 'teratai bali' with leaves interestingly arranged in an array of colourful mosaics, which needed to be placed in a pot of water. Papa was obliging enough to make another stop at the pottery seller.

I returned to the packed car later with a pretty sandstone pot, cursing the salesgirl.
Papa asked why the sour face.

mama: cilaka budak yang jual tu, I asked for a discount, she said 'tak boleh lah ahmoi!'
papa: You should be pleased that she called you ahmoi, what if she addressed you as 'ahsoh'??
mama: 'mou kow cor!' (don't try to be funny!) ,I would have pretended to accidentally drop the pot and left! ha,ha,ha...
.








The beautiful cluster of teratai bali's leaves.

7 comments:

Mama Rock said...

hehehe, when someone calls me a makcik or ahsoh, i usually buy from another vendor :)

NorAiniJ said...

I remember one 13 or 14 yr old Ah Boy from red crescent came for donation one day, and he called me Mak Cik. Well I know he can be my nephew, but the least he could call me is Puan. Terus tak jadi nak derma…

mama irma said...

mama rock,
In sweet denial, aren't we? But still, they don't have to rub it in!!!


nj,
Not everyone knows that politeness can fetch us an extra mile....

Kak Teh said...

hehehe - shall we start a 'dont call us makcik' campaign? I was at the uni surau when a student after her prayers turned to me and said, "Mak cik kerja atau belajar di sini?" aduhh...terpotong pahala sekejap!

mama irma said...

kak Teh,
Issh, bebudak ni! They even do the 'namecalling' when they are actually in London?......

Unknown said...

Mama Irma,
Every time they refer us as makcik they lose a customer, don't they?

mama irma said...

anasalwa,
somehow, 'auntie' doesn't sound so bad.