Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Wisdom Tooth.

.
Ikram woke up in pain yesterday. He requested that I made a dental appointment for him as he felt that half his face was acting in concert, determined to make his entire day miserable.

I picked him up after school and sent him direct to the Dentist's chair.

Dr. Putri: Oh my! You have 3 wisdom teeth coming out at three corners of your gums all at the same time!!!!! How old are you?

Ikram: 17!

I had my last tooth coming out while celebrating my 49th birthday. I was in excruciating pain that I could count the throbs of my gum to be in the same rythmn as the pounding of pillars at the construction site of Mutiara Damansara. Henceforth, I gave up my right to blame the lack of wisdom tooth for all my childish antics.

The children were sorry for me, they bought a Spa treatment as a birthday gift hopefully to sooth away the pain. Since it was the Father's Day celebration, papa got to go as well.

Halfway through the treatment, I got to soak myself in the bathtub strewn with rose petals of different colours.

mama: Eh, papa! I am bathing in 'air bunga', very soon I will be able to find a partner and get married to a handsome and rich Datuk!!!!!

Papa shouted from the bench where he was covered in a plastic wrap not unlike a mummia, in his thick Penang slang:
'Bukan ka hang baghu nak tumbuh gigi, dah gatai nak menikah????'

Ha, ha, ha....
We both laughed so loud that the guest next door must have expected that we were up to something lucrative....

I digress.

Back at the dentist office, Dr. Putri explained that 2 of the teeth were nicely placed. The one that bothered Ikram was on the upper left gum where the poor fella actually leaned towards the inside of Ikram's cheek for lack of space. It would require simple extraction, however, if I were to do it today, the inflamation would cause Ikram much pain.

mama: what do you propose as the best option for Ikram?
Dr. Putri: we will treat the sore with anti-biotic and pain-killer for 3 days, when the tooth is stabilised, I will proceed with the extraction.
mama: OK then, we'll see you again in 3 days' time. Until then, will Ikram still be in pain?
Dr. Putri: It should be bearable after 24 hours of medication.

On the way home, Ikram said he half expected that I would instruct the Dentist to just proceed with the extraction and do away with all the hassle!.

Ikram: But you consider my best interest and comfort, first and foremost. I don't think I will ever get a better mum than you, mama!!!

mama: Ooouuww, I love you too, Ikram...
Welcome to the world of wisdom!!!
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh! if only those words can be captured in a time capsule :)

mama irma said...

mama rock, the words are captured in our minds......to be remembered forever....