Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Of Second Chances.

Ikram is holding on quite well there, I hope!

He has been doing trial runs, some sort of a rehearsal, on his SPM exam, by trying out past year exam papers within the stipulated time and quite happy with his results.
There are a fair bit of improvements required here and there.
Meanwhile, I am keeping a close watch on his food and his health.

Not even a drop of rain is allowed to fall on his head...
mama: 'Nanti demam!!!'....

Nak makan Tiramisu?
mama: OK, I'll order one from the 'Secret Recipe' this evening.....

As I take up this role of his complete supporter, I reflect on my own road in pursuing education.
When I was much younger, before leaving for a boarding school at age 12, my attempts of self study at home would be interpreted as trying to escape from doing the housework!

-Pergi basuh pinggan!!
-Tolong jaga adik!!!!!
-Malas lah tu, buat2 nak belajar!!!....
At that age, it's my words against the establishment.

The establishment then was my one and only mother.
She took up a post of a fulltime housewife, incharged of 5 children at that time, with minimal cooking as far as I can remember..
No other career, no gawking at the stock market, and no sending kids to school as we walk the miles to go there.

Luckily, my dad was far sighted, noticed my determination, and saved me from slavery by allowing me to bring my books and sat beside him after school, while he was on duty at the Police Station of Parit Jawa, in Muar.
He did get into trouble with my mum, once in a while, though never with his superior....

mama: Macam tu lah susah nya masa mama nak belajar dulu, Ikram!
Ikram: Yes, mama. We have heard about the story many times before.....






5 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Mama Irma, hahaha ...thatlastline, we have heard that many times before! yes, I have heard that many times before, my children too!

mama irma said...

Kak Teh,
No matter how many times we repeat the harrowing stories, I don't think the children have the slightest idea of what we went through.....Can't blame them though, they are being brought up differently...

atenah said...

my mak use to say the same thing. i have heard her stories so many time, i think i need to blog abt her stories but no time.

Good luck to yr son, I'm sure he can do it.

mama irma said...

atenah,
Kalau nak blog cerita lama, kena lah siapkan your report writing first...I know you can do it too!!

Mama Rock said...

mam irma, and later ikram willl tell the same story to his children and the kids will tell him that dah dengar citer opah tu many, many times...hehehehe