Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Changing of The Maids.

If you have just recovered from a bout of vertigo, flu, migraine or PMS, take my word seriously, don't ever attempt to go to The North Port Jetty at Port Klang to collect your new maid. I did just that yesterday, and when I returned, I decked my aesophagus with a series of repeat medication plus my blood pressure went to a territory where it haven't been before!!!!.....

My previous maids were supplied by an agent. This time around, I thought I wanted to 'jimat' a bit and tried to arrange one myself with the help of a friend in Tg. Balai.

I found out that filling up The Immigration form is such a hassle that perhaps doing your own laundry from now on would be much simpler, if not for the metacarpal syndrome which you suspected that you could be suffering from..

Like, in order to 'qualify' for a foreign maid:-
-both you and hubby must be working - checked.
-total income must be more than RM3,000.00 per month - checked.
-you must have a child younger than 15 years old - uh huh, Imran will be 15 in 3months' time....

mama: I never knew that you are of any use to us until we have to apply for a maid, Imran!

Looks like this will be our last of a row of 19 maids, who have been hired and fired over a period of 26years in our household.
Unless we have another baby, which is completely out of the question,
or we have a sick parent, also very out of the question as I can never figure that my mother would consider staying with me even in her healthy state!

After a month of paper shuffling, medical tests, trips to the Immigration office, finally, I was to collect the new maid at the ferry terminal of the North Port in Port Klang.

The people sitting at the MPK had better pray hard that the Sultan of Selangor would forget about the existence of that piece of no man's land.

The moment you step out of the car and into the complex, you'd think that you are already across the straits in Tg. Balai.
It was so filthy , almost everyone talked loudly in the Indon accent.
The dangdut music blaring from a karaoke set, keretek cigarette smoke filled the entire airspace, the hostility and suspicion on everyone's face.....
I could sense that it was me who was the foreigner in my own country.
I was so embarrased to be there!!!...

After 'Ocean 2' safely docked at the jetty, we waited for another 30 minutes for Immigration clearance. It was enough for me to absorb the unfamiliarity of the surrounding. The tough life some human form have to endure in order to earn a living in a more prosperous neighbouring country. We are so lucky to be Malaysian, never mind the present highly criticised leadership, after all, President Bush is a lot dumber!

I hurried out of the complex with the frightened looking new maid in tow, my hair smelling of rokok keretek smoke, ear ringing with dangdut music, clothes covered with dust.

mama: and you expect the new maid to understand the concept that dirt is an 'allergen' in our house???? ...

sigh.....

No comments: