Friday, December 09, 2005

Parenting Champions

.
The whole nation is overwhelmed by Nicol Ann David for her success in being the world no.1 in the game of squash. I share the David's pride in getting the best congratulatory wishes from the country's no.1 who is none other than our Prime Minister.

For Nicol to be where she is now has involved a lot of sacrifices both from her and her family. Not only in monetary form but her parents had to take a big decision about her going pro in the game in which Nicol is passionate about. She obtained a sparkling academic results in her SPM, being tutored by her mother as she didn't have much time to study in the proper school.

Parenting is such a tedious job which require skill , my own mum didn't warn me about it. We have to be able to make lots and lots of decisions, keeping our fingers crossed hoping that they are the right ones.

After 25 years of parenting, I'm still struggling with my efforts trying to raise champions in my own household.

Last night, as I was pouring over spreadsheets of data, charts and graphs, reviewing my investment portfolio for the new year, an sms came from Dilla:

..'Ma, dilla takde underwear tuk nak pakai sampai saturday, boleh tak kalau dila balik rumah jumaat petang, pastu gi balik campus saturday? OR should I drive to Alamanda beli? OR basuh the used ones?'...

Aduuihh..that's a very difficult decision to make...let me see how to steer my daughter into a champion...

...'Gi beli!'...was my answer to her sms.

and her reply:

...'ha,ha,ha...YES lah!!Mama memang paham dila!!! Basuh was certainly not an option!!!'.....

Sigh.....I don't think I have the potential of getting a glowing tribute from Pak Lah, congratulating me on my parenting acument any time soon......
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hohoho..
salam to dilla and you too, auntie

Anonymous said...

Ha ha funny. Note: even new undies have to be washed --never wear unwashed undies! There was a documentary on US TV about how garment is made (undies and others). Eversince that, I wash ALL of my son's new clothes and all of my undies/bras before wearing.